CUSA opponents square off when the Liberty Flames (7-0) visit the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (4-3) on Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at Houchens Industries–L.T. Smith Stadium. Liberty is favored by 5 points. The over/under for the game is set at 62.
You’ll want to head to ESPNU for the upcoming game between the Flames and Hilltoppers.
Flames vs. Hilltoppers Game Info
- Date: Tuesday, October 24, 2023
- Time: 7:30 PM ET
- Channel: ESPNU
- Livestream: Stream NCAA football on Fubo and ESPN+
- City: Bowling Green, Kentucky
- Venue: Houchens Industries–L.T. Smith Stadium
- The Flames have the 32nd-ranked defense this year (331.4 yards allowed per game), and they’ve been more effective on the other side of the ball, ranking eighth-best with 489.0 yards per game.
- On offense, the Flames have been a top-25 unit, ranking 15th-best in the FBS by putting up 36.3 points per game. They rank 33rd on defense (19.7 points allowed per game).
- Liberty ranks 86th in pass offense (213.3 passing yards per game) and 52nd in pass defense (214.3 passing yards allowed per game) this season.
- The Flames rank 31st in run defense this year (117.1 rushing yards allowed per game), but they’ve been shining on offense, ranking second-best in the FBS with 275.7 rushing yards per game.
- Offensively, Liberty has been a top-25 unit in terms of third-down efficiency, ranking 15th-best in the FBS by putting up a 48.8% third-down conversion rate. The defense ranks 34th on defense (34.1% third-down conversion rate allowed).
- The Flames own the second-best turnover margin in college football at +10, forcing 17 turnovers (first in the FBS) while turning it over seven times (39th in the FBS).
- Western Kentucky ranks 76th in total yards per game (382.7), but it has been worse on the defensive side of the ball, ranking fifth-worst in the FBS with 463.9 total yards allowed per contest.
- In terms of points scored Western Kentucky ranks 51st in the FBS (30.0 points per game), and it is 88th on the other side of the ball (27.7 points allowed per game).
- The Hilltoppers’ defense has been a bottom-25 unit in pass defense this season, ceding 259.9 passing yards per game, which ranks 18th-worst in the FBS. Offensively, they rank 30th with 282.4 passing yards per contest.
- Western Kentucky has plenty of room to get better in the running game, as it ranks 11th-worst in rushing yards per game (100.3) and fifth-worst in rushing yards surrendered per game (204.0).
- The Hilltoppers are posting a 35.3% third-down conversion rate on offense this season (101st-ranked). Meanwhile, they are surrendering a 41.7% third-down rate (97th-ranked) on defense.
- Western Kentucky has thrived in terms of turnovers, as the team’s turnover margin of +8 ranks seventh-best in the FBS, with 17 forced turnovers (first in the nation) and nine turnovers committed (68th in the nation).
- Kaidon Salter has thrown for 1,493 yards, 16 touchdowns and three interceptions this year. He is averaging 213.3 yards per game and 9.8 per attempt, while completing 57.9% of his attempts.
- To go along with his passing stats, Salter also has 497 rushing yards (second on the Flames), with six rushing touchdowns.
- Quinton Cooley averages 6.0 yards per carry (54th in the FBS) and 103.7 yards per game, and has 726 total rushing yards. He has scored six rushing TDs this season.
- C.J. Daniels has four touchdown catches this season, and has 24 receptions for 509 yards on zero targets, while averaging 3.4 catches and 72.7 yards per game.
- Austin Reed has passed for 1,908 yards this year, with 16 touchdowns and four interceptions. He is completing 59.0% of his attempts while averaging 272.6 yards per game and 6.5 per attempt.
- He’s added 92 yards on the ground (fifth on the Hilltoppers), with three rushing touchdowns. He’s averaging 13.1 yards per game and 3.5 per attempt.
- Malachi Corley has put together a 2023 campaign that includes 43 catches for 590 yards and five receiving touchdowns over six games played. He has been on the receiving end of zero targets and is averaging 7.2 receptions per game.
- Easton Messer has registered 299 receiving yards and three touchdowns on 24 receptions, while being targeted zero times this season.