A pair of the nation’s strongest offenses meet when the SMU Mustangs (7-2) bring college football’s seventh-ranked scoring offense into a matchup with the North Texas Mean Green (3-6), who have the No. 23 scoring offense, on Friday, November 10, 2023. The Mustangs are heavy, 21-point favorites. The over/under is 67 for the contest.
You should head to ESPN2 in order to see this matchup.
Mustangs vs. Mean Green Game Info
- Date: Friday, November 10, 2023
- Time: 9:00 PM ET
- Channel: ESPN2
- Livestream: Stream NCAA football on Fubo and ESPN+
- City: University Park, Texas
- Venue: Gerald J. Ford Stadium
- The Mustangs have been a difficult matchup for opposing teams, as they rank top-25 in both total offense (13th-best with 466.3 yards per game) and total defense (eighth-best with 282 yards allowed per game) this year.
- The Mustangs have been making things happen on both sides of the ball this season, as they rank seventh-best in scoring offense (40 points per game) and ninth-best in scoring defense (15.9 points allowed per game).
- SMU has been a tough matchup for opposing teams in the passing game, with a top-25 ranking in both passing offense (19th-best with 291.2 passing yards per game) and passing defense (ninth-best with 166.4 passing yards allowed per game) this year.
- From an offensive standpoint, the Mustangs rank 42nd in the FBS with 175.1 rushing yards per game. Meanwhile, they rank 28th in rushing yards allowed per contest (115.6).
- SMU has the 40th-ranked offense this year in terms of third-down efficiency (43% conversion rate), and has been better defensively, ranking seventh-best with a 28.1% third-down conversion rate allowed.
- The Mustangs rank 47th in college football with a +2 turnover margin after forcing 8 turnovers (97th in the FBS) and committing six (11th in the FBS).
Mean Green Insights
- While North Texas’ defense has had trouble stopping opposing offenses, ranking worst by conceding 469.3 total yards per game, its offense ranks 11th-best with 482.3 total yards per contest.
- Defensively, North Texas is bottom-25, surrendering 36.7 points per game (fifth-worst). On the bright side, it is excelling on offense, accumulating 34.8 points per contest (23rd-best).
- The Mean Green’s pass offense has been consistently moving the chains, posting 301.7 passing yards per contest (13th-best) this season. Defensively, they rank 46th by allowing 208.3 passing yards per game.
- North Texas’ defense has been a bottom-25 unit in run defense this season, allowing 261 rushing yards per game, which ranks worst in the FBS. On offense, it ranks 36th with 180.7 rushing yards per contest.
- The Mean Green rank 34th in third-down conversion rate (43.7%) on offense, but they’ve been less effective defensively, ranking 20th-worst in the FBS with a 44.6% third-down percentage allowed.
- After forcing 11 turnovers (49th in the FBS) and turning the ball over nine times (46th in the FBS) this season, North Texas has the 47th-ranked turnover margin of +2.
- Preston Stone has 2,362 passing yards in nine games this year, averaging 262.4 per game with a 58.9% completion percentage and 21 touchdowns (10th in the FBS) against five interceptions.
- He has also rushed for 199 yards (fourth on the Mustangs) and added three touchdowns on the ground, while averaging 22.1 rushing yards per game.
- Jaylan Knighton’s rushing statline this season includes 511 yards and four TDs. He is averaging 63.9 yards per game and 5.4 per attempt (94th in the FBS).
- In the passing game, Jordan Hudson, has totaled 317 receiving yards and five touchdowns after grabbing 22 balls on zero targets. Per game, he’s averaging 39.6 yards and 2.8 receptions through eight games.
Mean Green Leaders
- In nine games played this year, Chandler Rogers has racked up 2,445 passing yards, with 21 touchdowns (10th in the FBS) against three interceptions and completing 63.3% of his attempts.
- On the ground, Rogers has added three rushing touchdowns and 144 rushing yards (fourth on the Mean Green).
- Jay Maclin has put together a 2023 stat sheet that includes 44 catches for 766 yards and 11 receiving touchdowns (first in the FBS) in nine games played. He has been on the receiving end of zero targets and is averaging 4.9 receptions per game.
- So far this season through nine games, Ayo Adeyi has churned out 716 rushing yards (leading the Mean Green) and scored four rushing touchdowns. He averages 79.6 yards per game and 7.3 per carry (sixth in the FBS).