The SMU Mustangs (6-2) and the Rice Owls (4-4) hit the field to try to take home the Mayor’s Cup on Saturday, November 4, 2023 at Rice Stadium. The Mustangs are massive, 13-point favorites. The contest’s point total is 58.5.
You’ll want to head to ESPNU for the upcoming matchup featuring the Mustangs and Owls.
Mustangs vs. Owls Game Info
- Date: Saturday, November 4, 2023
- Time: 7:30 PM ET
- Channel: ESPNU
- Livestream: Stream NCAA football on Fubo and ESPN+
- City: Houston, Texas
- Venue: Rice Stadium
- The Mustangs have been a difficult matchup for opposing teams, as they rank top-25 in both total offense (15th-best with 463.5 yards per game) and total defense (12th-best with 281.0 yards allowed per game) this season.
- The Mustangs have been firing on all cylinders this year, as they rank seventh-best in scoring offense (40.5 points per game) and fifth-best in scoring defense (14.0 points allowed per game).
- SMU has been thriving on both sides of the ball in the passing game, ranking 16th-best in passing offense (295.0 passing yards per game) and eighth-best in passing defense (166.5 passing yards allowed per game).
- The Mustangs rank 51st in run offense (168.5 rushing yards per game) and 27th in run defense (114.5 rushing yards allowed per game) this season.
- SMU ranks 47th in third-down conversion rate this season (42.3%), but has been thriving on defense, ranking 10th-best in the FBS with a 29.3% third-down percentage allowed.
- The Mustangs have the 64th-ranked turnover margin in college football at even, forcing six turnovers (111th in the FBS) while turning it over six times (15th in the FBS).
- Rice is posting 395.4 total yards per contest on offense this season (63rd-ranked). Meanwhile, it is giving up 394.5 total yards per contest (90th-ranked).
- Rice ranks 32nd in the FBS with 33.3 points per contest on offense, and it ranks 85th with 27.8 points allowed per contest on the defensive side of the ball.
- The Owls’ passing attack has been leading the way for the team, as they rank 13th-best in the FBS with 303.5 passing yards per game. In terms of defense, they are giving up 245.1 passing yards per game, which ranks 100th.
- Rice’s running game has been sputtering, ranking seventh-worst in the FBS with 91.9 rushing yards per game. It has been better defensively, surrendering 149.4 rushing yards per contest (77th-ranked).
- With a 44.0% third-down conversion percentage on offense, the Owls rank 33rd in the FBS. On defense, they rank 53rd, surrendering a 36.4% third-down rate.
- Rice has registered seven forced turnovers (99th in the FBS) and committed eight turnovers (45th in the FBS) this season for a -1 turnover margin that ranks 74th in the FBS.
- Preston Stone has passed for 2,138 yards, 19 touchdowns (ninth in the FBS) and five interceptions this year. He is averaging 267.3 yards per game and 8.4 per attempt, while completing 59.4% of his attempts.
- He has also rushed for 118 yards (fourth on the Mustangs) and added two touchdowns on the ground, while averaging 14.8 rushing yards per game.
- Jaylan Knighton’s rushing statline this season includes 456 yards and four TDs. He’s averaging 65.1 yards per game and 5.5 per attempt (87th in the FBS).
- In the passing attack, RJ Maryland, has totaled 315 receiving yards and five touchdowns after catching 23 balls on zero targets. Per game, he’s averaging 45.0 yards and 3.3 receptions over seven games.
- Through eight games played this year, JT Daniels has racked up 2,362 passing yards, with 19 touchdowns (ninth in the FBS) against six interceptions and completing 63.6% of his attempts.
- Luke McCaffrey has 41 catches for 692 yards and eight receiving touchdowns (10th in the FBS). He has been targeted zero times and averages 5.1 receptions per game in eight games played.
- So far this season in eight games, Dean Connors has churned out 337 rushing yards (leading the Owls) and scored four rushing touchdowns. He averages 42.1 yards per game and 5.8 per attempt (62nd in the FBS).
- Connors has helped out in the passing game, picking up 338 receiving yards (42.3 per game) on 28 catches (3.5 per game), while being targeted zero times. He has two receiving touchdowns.