A pair of the nation’s toughest pass defenses meet when the Toledo Rockets (8-1) take college football’s 16th-ranked pass defense into a matchup with the Eastern Michigan Eagles (4-5), who have the No. 20 passing defense, on Wednesday, November 8, 2023. The Rockets are double-digit, 19.5-point favorites. This game has an over/under of 45 points.
You’ll want to check out ESPN2 for the upcoming game between the Rockets and Eagles.
Rockets vs. Eagles Game Info
- Date: Wednesday, November 8, 2023
- Time: 7:30 PM ET
- Channel: ESPN2
- Livestream: Stream NCAA football on Fubo and ESPN+
- City: Toledo, Ohio
- Venue: Glass Bowl
- The Rockets are totaling 434.2 yards per game on offense (36th in the FBS), and they rank 28th defensively with 331.6 yards allowed per game.
- The Rockets have been thriving on both sides of the ball, ranking 24th-best in scoring offense (34.4 points per game) and 25th-best in scoring defense (19.3 points allowed per game).
- On the defensive side of the ball, Toledo has been a top-25 unit in terms of passing yards, ranking 16th-best by surrendering only 180.0 passing yards per game. The Rockets rank 94th on offense (204.4 passing yards per game).
- The Rockets own the 77th-ranked defense this year in terms of rushing yards (151.6 rushing yards allowed per game), and they’ve been better on offense, ranking third-best with 229.8 rushing yards per game.
- On the offensive side of the ball, Toledo has been a top-25 unit in terms of third-down efficiency, ranking 20th-best in the FBS by putting up a 46.7% third-down conversion rate. The defense ranks 56th on defense (37.1% third-down conversion rate allowed).
- With 14 forced turnovers (15th in the FBS) against 11 turnovers committed (78th in the FBS), the Rockets (+3) own the 33rd-ranked turnover margin in college football.
- Eastern Michigan has been struggling offensively, ranking second-worst with 260.7 total yards per game. It has been more productive on the other side of the ball, surrendering 382.3 total yards per contest (78th-ranked).
- Eastern Michigan has been sputtering offensively, ranking 14th-worst in the FBS with 18.6 points per game. It has been better on the other side of the ball, surrendering 22.3 points per contest (43rd-ranked).
- While the Eagles’ pass offense has been sputtering, ranking 12th-worst with 159.3 passing yards per game, their defense ranks 20th-best with only 182.4 passing yards ceded per contest.
- Eastern Michigan has lots of room to get better in the running game, as it ranks 12th-worst in rushing yards per game (101.3) and ninth-worst in rushing yards allowed per game (199.9).
- The Eagles’ offense has not been getting things done on third down, ranking 25th-worst in the FBS with a 33.9% third-down conversion rate. They have been better on defense, surrendering a 35.2% third-down rate (38th-ranked).
- Eastern Michigan sports a -3 turnover margin this season, which ranks 91st in the FBS.
- DeQuan Finn has thrown for 1,592 yards, 15 touchdowns and six interceptions this year. He is averaging 176.9 yards per game and 7.7 per attempt, while completing 63.3% of his attempts.
- He has added 489 rushing yards (54.3 per game) and five touchdowns on the ground.
- Peny Boone’s rushing statline this season includes 990 yards (seventh in the FBS) and nine TDs. He’s averaging 110.0 yards per game and 7.3 per attempt (sixth in the FBS).
- Boone’s zero targets through the air have turned into five catches (0.6 per game) for 46 yards (5.1 per game) and one touchdown.
- Jerjuan Newton has nine touchdown catches this season (ninth in the FBS), and has 30 receptions for 394 yards on zero targets, while averaging 3.3 catches and 43.8 yards per game.
- Samson Evans averages 47.2 rushing yards per game this year (425 total yards), while scoring eight rushing touchdowns.
- In nine games, Austin Smith has 1,334 passing yards, with seven touchdowns against six interceptions and completing 57.2% of his passes.
- Smith also has one rushing touchdown and 96 rushing yards (third on the Eagles).
- Jaylon Jackson is averaging 42.4 rushing yards per game this season (382 total yards), while scoring one rushing touchdown.
- Jackson has helped in the receiving game, picking up 200 receiving yards (22.2 per game) on 18 catches (2.0 per game), while being targeted zero times. He has one receiving touchdown.