The Kent State Golden Flashes (1-7) are 4-point underdogs in a road MAC matchup with the Akron Zips (1-7) on Wednesday, November 1, 2023 at InfoCision Stadium. The game’s over/under is set at 39.5.
The matchup between the Zips and Golden Flashes will be airing on ESPNU.
Zips vs. Golden Flashes Game Info
- Date: Wednesday, November 1, 2023
- Time: 7:30 PM ET
- Channel: ESPNU
- Livestream: Stream NCAA football on Fubo and ESPN+
- City: Akron, Ohio
- Venue: InfoCision Stadium
- The Zips have been a bottom-25 offense this year, ranking fourth-worst with 279.0 yards per contest. Defensively, they are ranked 42nd in the FBS (342.8 yards allowed per game).
- The Zips have been a bottom-25 scoring offense this season, ranking third-worst with 15.4 points per contest. Defensively, they are ranked 99th in the FBS (29.4 points allowed per game).
- Akron sports the 23rd-best pass defense this season (193.3 passing yards allowed per game), but ranks 24th-worst offensively (187.4 passing yards per game).
- While the Zips’ run defense ranks 79th with 149.5 rushing yards allowed per game, they’ve been less successful on offense, ranking seventh-worst (91.6 rushing yards per game).
- Akron ranks 13th-worst in third-down conversion rate (30.9%), but has been better on defense, ranking 56th with a 36.6% third-down conversion rate allowed.
- With 10 forced turnovers (52nd in the FBS) against 15 turnovers committed (125th in the FBS), the Zips’ -5 turnover margin is the 22nd-worst in college football.
Golden Flashes Insights
- Kent State has been struggling on offense, ranking second-worst with 259.9 total yards per game. It has been more productive on defense, giving up 378.0 total yards per contest (70th-ranked).
- This season has been ugly for Kent State on both sides of the ball, as it is posting just 12.5 points per contest (worst) and surrendering 33.0 points per game (17th-worst).
- The Golden Flashes’ passing game has been struggling, ranking seventh-worst in the FBS with 142.5 passing yards per game. They have been more productive defensively, surrendering 214.9 passing yards per contest (51st-ranked).
- Kent State ranks 107th in the FBS with 117.4 rushing yards per game on offense, and it ranks 92nd with 163.1 rushing yards ceded per contest on defense.
- The Golden Flashes have struggled on both offense and defense on third down this season, ranking eighth-worst in third-down conversion rate (29.7%) and fourth-worst in third-down percentage allowed (50.0%).
- Kent State has a +1 turnover margin this season, which ranks 53rd in the FBS.
- Lorenzo Lingard’s rushing output this season includes 388 yards and two TDs. He’s averaging 48.5 yards per game and 5.0 per attempt (142nd in the FBS).
- Lingard has been targeted zero times in the receiving game and has 21 catches (2.6 per game) for 218 yards (27.3 per game) and one TD.
- DJ Irons has thrown for 722 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions this year. He averages 144.4 yards per game and 5.4 per attempt, while completing 66.2%.
- He has also rushed for 225 yards (second on the Zips) and added two touchdowns on the ground, while averaging 45.0 rushing yards per game.
- Drake Anderson has 141 rushing yards with one touchdown (17.6 yards per game across eight games).
- Anderson has been on the receiving end of zero targets in the passing game and has 13 catches (1.6 per game) for 59 yards (7.4 per game) and one TD.
Golden Flashes Leaders
- Chrishon McCray has recorded 449 receiving yards and two touchdowns on 35 receptions, while being targeted zero times this season.
- Gavin Garcia has 374 rushing yards (leading the Golden Flashes) and two rushing touchdowns, while averaging 46.8 yards per game and 3.9 per attempt (263rd in the FBS).
- Michael Alaimo has passed for 932 yards this year, two touchdowns and four interceptions. He is completing 54.9% of his passes while averaging 116.5 yards per game and 6.5 per attempt.