Oddsmakers expect a close contest between CUSA opponents when the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (3-5) host the New Mexico State Aggies (5-3) on Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at Joe Aillet Stadium. New Mexico State is a 2.5-point underdogs. A 52-point over/under is set for the contest.
Want to watch the matchup between the Bulldogs and Aggies? You can do so on CBS Sports.
Bulldogs vs. Aggies Game Info
- Date: Tuesday, October 24, 2023
- Time: 7:00 PM ET
- Channel: CBS Sports
- Livestream: Stream NCAA football on Fubo and ESPN+
- City: Ruston, Louisiana
- Venue: Joe Aillet Stadium
- The Bulldogs are compiling 384.3 yards per game on offense (75th in the FBS), and they rank 80th on defense with 381.5 yards allowed per game.
- The Bulldogs are putting up 26.6 points per game offensively this year (81st in the FBS), and they are giving up 27.5 points per game (87th) on the other side of the ball.
- Louisiana Tech has the 56th-ranked offense this season in terms of passing yards (243.1 passing yards per game), and has been better defensively, ranking 16th-best with only 182.1 passing yards allowed per game.
- Despite having a bottom-25 run defense that ranks ninth-worst in the FBS (199.4 rushing yards allowed per game), the Bulldogs have put up better results on offense, ranking 87th in the FBS by totaling 141.1 rushing yards per game.
- While Louisiana Tech’s third-down defense ranks 61st with a 37.1% third-down conversion rate allowed per game, the offense has been worse, ranking 12th-worst with a 30.8% third-down percentage.
- With seven forced turnovers (87th in the FBS) against nine turnovers committed (68th in the FBS), the Bulldogs (-2) own the 87th-ranked turnover margin in college football.
- With 441.1 total yards per game on offense, New Mexico State ranks 32nd in the FBS in 2023. On defense, it ranks 73rd, allowing 376.6 total yards per contest.
- With 29.8 points per game on offense, New Mexico State ranks 56th in the FBS. Defensively, it ranks 43rd, allowing 21.1 points per game.
- In terms of passing, the Aggies rank 60th in the FBS (237.5 passing yards per game) and 102nd on defense (248.0 passing yards allowed per game).
- New Mexico State’s run offense has been consistently moving the chains, piling up 203.6 rushing yards per contest (17th-best) this season. On defense, it ranks 48th by giving up 128.6 rushing yards per game.
- In terms of third-down efficiency, the Aggies rank 65th in the FBS (40.7% third-down conversion percentage) and 76th on the other side of the ball (38.7% third-down rate allowed).
- At -2, New Mexico State has the 87th-ranked turnover margin in the FBS, with five forced turnovers (117th in the FBS) and seven turnovers committed (39th in the FBS).
- Smoke Harris has brought in 59 passes (fourth in the FBS) on zero targets for 614 total yards and three touchdowns. He is averaging 7.4 catches and 76.8 yards per game in eight games played.
- Tyre Shelton averages 7.0 yards per carry (20th in the FBS) and 95.0 yards per game, and has 475 total rushing yards. He has scored five rushing TDs this season.
- Jack Turner has 1,011 passing yards through six games this year, averaging 168.5 per game with a 57.6% completion percentage and five touchdowns against five interceptions.
- He has also rushed for 60 yards (sixth on the Bulldogs) and added two touchdowns on the ground, averaging 10.0 yards per game.
- In eight games played this year, Diego Pavia has racked up 1,801 passing yards, while throwing 16 touchdowns against five interceptions and completing 61.9% of his attempts.
- He’s added 536 yards on the ground (first on the Aggies), while scoring four rushing touchdowns. He’s averaging 67.0 yards per game and 6.0 per attempt.
- Star Thomas has scored four rushing touchdowns, while totaling 321 rushing yards (4.8 per carry and 40.1 per game).
- Thomas has also picked up 130 receiving yards (16.3 per game) on 13 catches (1.6 per game). He’s been targeted zero times and has caught one touchdown pass.
- Ahmonte Watkins has rushed for two touchdowns this year, and has totaled 415 rushing yards (51.9 per game and 11.9 per attempt).
- Watkins’ statistic output includes seven receptions (0.9 per game) on zero targets for 75 yards (9.4 per game) and one receiving touchdown.