The San Jose State Spartans (2-5) take the 21st-ranked passing defense in college football into a matchup with the Utah State Aggies (3-4), who have the No. 17 passing attack, on Saturday, October 21, 2023. The Spartans are 4-point favorites. The game’s over/under is set at 65.5.
Go to CBS Sports Network to watch the Spartans take on the Aggies.
Spartans vs. Aggies Game Info
- Date: Saturday, October 21, 2023
- Time: 7:00 PM ET
- Channel: CBS Sports Network
- Livestream: Stream NCAA football on Fubo and ESPN+
- City: San Jose, California
- Venue: CEFCU Stadium
- The Spartans are averaging 389.9 yards per game on offense this season (70th in the FBS), and they are allowing 396.4 yards per game (96th) on the defensive side of the ball.
- The Spartans own the 48th-ranked scoring offense this year (31.4 points per game), and they’ve been worse on the other side of the ball, ranking 19th-worst with 32.3 points allowed per game.
- On defense, San Jose State has been a top-25 unit in terms of passing yards, ranking 21st-best by allowing just 186.1 passing yards per game. The Spartans rank 60th on offense (241.4 passing yards per game).
- With 210.3 rushing yards allowed per game on defense, which ranks fourth-worst in the FBS, the Spartans have had to rely on their 72nd-ranked running game (148.4 rushing yards per contest) to keep them competitive.
- In addition to a 46.7% third-down percentage allowed on defense, which ranks 13th-worst in the FBS, San Jose State has put up the 81st-ranked third-down percentage (38.6%) on offense.
- The Spartans own the 14th-best turnover margin in college football at +6, forcing 10 turnovers (47th in the FBS) while turning it over four times (eighth in the FBS).
- Utah State’s offense has been leading the charge for the team, as it ranks 14th-best in the FBS with 477.9 total yards per game. In terms of defense, it is giving up 414.6 total yards per game, which ranks 107th.
- Utah State ranks 18th-worst in points allowed per game on defense (32.9), but at least it has been surging on the offensive side of the ball, ranking 15th-best in points per game (37.3).
- The Aggies’ passing attack has been leading the way for the team, as they rank 17th-best in the FBS with 305.6 passing yards per contest. In terms of defense, they are surrendering 251.0 passing yards per game, which ranks 105th.
- Utah State is compiling 172.3 rushing yards per contest on offense this season (49th-ranked). Meanwhile, it is surrendering 163.6 rushing yards per game (99th-ranked) on defense.
- The Aggies rank 94th in the FBS with a 37.1% third-down conversion rate on offense, and 102nd with a 43.1% third-down percentage allowed on the defensive side of the ball.
- After forcing 14 turnovers (sixth in the FBS) and turning the ball over 14 times (124th in the FBS) this season, Utah State sports the 63rd-ranked turnover margin of 0.
- Kairee Robinson has put up 471 rushing yards with 10 touchdowns (67.3 yards per game through seven games). His 6.5 yards per attempt rank 32nd in college football.
- Robinson has been targeted 12 times in the receiving game and has 11 catches (1.6 per game) for 168 yards (24.0 per game) and one TD.
- Chevan Cordeiro has thrown for 1,610 yards, eight touchdowns and three interceptions this year. He averages 230.0 yards per game and 7.3 per attempt, while completing 59.9%.
- He has tacked on 128 rushing yards (18.3 per game) and three touchdowns on the ground.
- In seven games, Quali Conley has picked up 352 yards on the ground, averaging 50.3 yards per game and scoring four touchdowns.
- Conley has gotten 20 targets in the passing game and has 13 catches (1.9 per game) for 165 yards (23.6 per game) and zero TDs.
- Jalen Royals has registered 647 receiving yards (10th in the FBS) and nine touchdowns (first in the FBS) on 39 receptions, while being targeted 52 times this season.
- Terrell Vaughn has put together a 2023 campaign that includes 54 catches (fifth in the FBS) for 613 yards and eight receiving touchdowns (fifth in the FBS) over seven games played. He has been on the receiving end of 79 targets and is averaging 7.7 receptions per game.
- Through seven games this season, Cooper Legas has totaled 1,338 passing yards, while throwing 13 touchdowns against six interceptions and completing 66.0% of his passes.
- Legas has also rushed for 74 yards (fourth on the Aggies).