This is a daily post to jumpstart your MLB research for the day. Focusing on matchups, injuries, and lineups you can enhance your knowledge for fantasy, betting, or showing up your friends and family. Follow Lineups on Twitter for live updates on everything you need for sports.
- Eric Sogard is dinged up, and questionable for tonight’s game. This could move someone new into the leadoff spot.
- Josh Donaldson was scratched last night, and we will have to keep an eye on the lineup. Johan Camargo would be the fill-in option.
- Robinson Cano remains questionable, and has been out the last few games.
- DJ LeMahieu missed last night’s game, and is listed as questionable again.
Underneath each game you will find game and lineup notes, alongside betting and fantasy tips. Clicking into each team will bring you to their team hub where you can look at news, stats, projected lineups, schedule, and more.
Oakland Athletics (14-18) @ Boston Red Sox (13-17)
Starting Pitchers: Mike Fiers (R) vs. Hector Velazquez (R)
- The Red Sox run total is up over five, and Oakland is sitting at 4.5. Boston are small -133 home favorites.
- Michael Chavis is hitting fifth in the order today.
Tampa Bay Rays (19-9) @ Kansas City Royals (9-20) (Game 1)
Starting Pitchers: Ryan Stanek (R) vs. Jake Junis (R)
- Tommy Pham has been mashing with a 58% hard-contact rate. His 16% walk rate is also higher than his 15% strikeout rate.
- Tampa Bay have Vegas on their side in the first game, as well as the second. It is a bullpen game for Tampa, as Snell will start Game 2.
Tampa Bay Rays (19-9) @ Kansas City Royals (9-20) (Game 2)
Starting Pitchers: Blake Snell (L) vs. Glenn Sparkman (R)
- Great matchup for Blake Snell, who has a 38% strikeout rate this season, and hitters have a .236 xwOBA.
- Tampa Bay are -209 favorites, and have an implied total of 4.8.
Pittsburgh Pirates (13-14) @ Texas Rangers (14-14)
Starting Pitchers: Jamison Taillon (R) vs. Shelby Miller (R)
- The Pirates have one of the highest team totals on the board today, sitting at 5.7. Texas is at five, as Jameson Taillon takes the mound.
- Shelby Miller has the lowest strikeout rate on the slate, and has an xFIP over seven.
New York Yankees (17-12) @ Arizona Diamondbacks (17-13)
Starting Pitchers: Masahiro Tanaka (R) vs. Merrill Kelly (R)
- The Yankees implied total is at 4.1, as this lineup last night looked like a Minor League roster.
- Merrill Kelly is an arm that can limit damage, but doesn’t have much upside here.
Baltimore Orioles (10-20) @ Chicago White Sox (12-14) (Game 1)
Starting Pitchers: David Hess (R) vs. Carlos Rodon (L)
- Carlos Rodon is a heavy favorite at -170 tonight, and the White Sox have an implied team total over five runs for the first game and second.
- Rodon has a 29% strikeout rate on the season, and 3.99 SIERA.
Baltimore Orioles (10-20) @ Chicago White Sox (12-14) (Game 2)
Starting Pitchers: Andrew Cashner (R) vs. Ivan Nova (R)
- Ivan Nova and the White Sox are -146 home favorites, and the Sox have over five implied total runs.
- Yoan Moncada has been breaking out this season, and .608 xSLG this season. His strikeout rate is also down to 22.6%.
- Both Ivan Nova and Andrew Cashner are gas cans, allowing over a .350 xwOBA and have a sub 20% strikeout rate.
Chicago Cubs (15-12) @ Seattle Mariners (18-14)
Starting Pitchers: Jon Lester (L) vs. Marco Gonzales (L)
- Two southpaws on the mound tonight, and Vegas has this game as a pick’em.
- Braden Bishop is making his start today for the optioned Mallex Smith.
- Jon Lester has a 24% strikeout rate this season.
St. Louis Cardinals (19-10) @ Washington Nationals (12-16)
Starting Pitchers: Miles Mikolas (R) vs. Max Scherzer (R)
- Not the usual monster line we see for Max Scherzer, but Washington are -159 favorites and the Cardinals have just an implied total of 3.6 runs.
- Scherzer has a 2.54 SIERA and 2.45 xFIP this season, and 4.12 ERA. He is in a good bounce back spot against a right-handed heavy Cardinals lineup.
Detroit Tigers (13-14) @ Philadelphia Phillies (16-13)
Starting Pitchers: Daniel Norris (L) vs. Aaron Nola (R)
- Philly are -220 home favorites, and the Tigers have just an implied total of 3.
- Aaron Nola has been off this season with a 13.5 K-BB%.
Cleveland Indians (16-12) @ Miami Marlins (8-21)
Starting Pitchers: Corey Kluber (R) vs. Caleb Smith (L)
- Corey Kluber has not been running great this season, but on the flip side Caleb Smith has. Very low run total in this one, but Cleveland are still slight favorites.
- Smith has a 34% strikeout rate this season, which is about 10% higher than Kluber’s.
Cincinnati Reds (12-17) @ New York Mets (15-14)
Starting Pitchers: Anthony DeSclafani (R) vs. Jacob deGrom (R)
- The Reds are +169 underdogs tonight, and have an implied total under three runs.
- Across all the probable pitchers today, deGrom has a 38% strikeout rate that leads all arms.
San Diego Padres (17-13) @ Atlanta Braves (14-15)
Starting Pitchers: Cal Quantrill (R) vs. Max Fried (L)
- Atlanta comes in with an implied total of five, and are -151 home favorites.
- Cal Quantrill is making his MLB debut tonight. He is a former first rounder. He doesn’t have much strikeout stuff, but does limit walks. Not a great matchup for his debut.
Colorado Rockies (13-17) @ Milwaukee Brewers (17-14)
Starting Pitchers: Anthony Senzatela (R) vs. Chase Anderson (R)
- Milwaukee has an implied total of five against Antonio Senzatela. Christian Yelich is expected to be out of the lineup again.
- Chase Anderson has a 26% strikeout rate this season, up from his career norm. His walk rate is up though, and ERA estimators
Houston Astros (18-12) @ Minnesota Twins (17-10)
Starting Pitchers: Collin McHugh (R) vs. Martin Perez (L)
- Houston are -140 road favorites against Minnesota, who have an implied total of 4.2.
- Collin McHugh continues to dial up that nasty slider and his strikeout rate is at 28%.
Los Angeles Dodgers (20-12) @ San Francisco Giants (12-18)
Starting Pitchers: Hyun-Jin Ryu (L) vs. Madison Bumgarner (L)
- Two southpaws on the hill tonight. Madison Bumgarner is a home underdog at +126, taking on Hyun-Jin Ryu.
- Ryu has a 31% strikeout rate this season, and 2.66 SIERA. He gets a weak Giants lineup in a spacious ballpark.
Toronto Blue Jays (14-15) @ Los Angeles Angels (13-17)
Starting Pitchers: Marcus Stroman (R) vs. Felix Pena (R)
- Toronto are small road underdogs, as the Angels keep garnishing the high total from Vegas.
- Marcus Stroman has a 55% groundball rate and 24% strikeout rate this season. Angels don’t strikeout a ton, but Stroman is in a spot to limit damage and churn out a quality start.