Top Sports Betting Industry News
1. New Jersey released their July 2019 revenue numbers yesterday. Total Gaming Revenue for July was $333.4 million (10.7% increase from 2018). Gross Revenue from Sports Wagering was $17.9 million compared to $3.8 million in July of 2018. Year-to-date Total Gaming Revenue was $1.925 billion through July comapred to $1.563 in the same period in 2018 (23.2% increase).
2. Legal sports betting is set to begin in Iowa today. Ameristar Casino Hotel in Council Bluffs will kick off sports betting at 4 p.m. Thursday in its newly renovated Amerisports Bar & Grill. According to the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission, seven other Iowa casinos are slated to open their sportsbooks today:
– Catfish Bend in Burlington
– Lakeside in Osceola
– Isle Waterloo
– Isle Bettendorf
– Prairie Meadows in Altoona
– Rhythm City in Davenport
FanDuel Sportsbook Promotions 8/15/19
1. $500 Risk-Free Bet! – Get up to $500 back if your first bet doesn’t win. Enjoy a risk-free first-time bet of up to $500. Place your first bet and if you don’t win, FanDuel will credit you with a bonus of the full amount (up to $500).
2. $10 refer a friend bonus – Any friend that you refer to FanDuel you get $10, and so do they!
3. Parlay insurance of up to $25– If you place a parlay bet with at least four or more legs and happen to lose by just one game, FanDuel will refund your bet up to $25.
Today’s Best Bets at FanDuel Sportsbook
Major League Baseball
San Francisco Giants vs Arizona Diamondbacks 9:40 PM
Two N.L. West teams still very much alive in the N.L. Wild Card race, the San Francisco Giants (4.5 games back) and the Arizona Diamondbacks (3.5 games back) begin a critical four-game series that could make or break one of these teams. The bad news for the Giants, Dereck Rodriguez (4-6 5.32 ERA) will be starting. Rodriguez has split time between the bullpen and the starting rotation this year. In his last four appearances, Rodriguez has given up nine earned runs in just 9.2 innings, four of those runs have come against the Diamondbacks in just 1.2 innings.
Starting for the Diamondbacks will be Alex Young (4-2 3.32 ERA). Young has only appeared in 38 innings so far this season and after starting out hot, has since crashed back to earth. In his last four starts, Young has only pitched 19.1 innings and has allowed 12 earned runs.
Neither pitcher is very reliable right now and they both have a hard time reaching late innings in games. Even though Young has only pitched 38 innings, Rodriguez has only pitched 64.1. Both are somewhat small sample sizes, but Young clearly looks like the better pitcher on paper:
Young: 1.00 WHIP, 31K, 13BB
Rodriguez: 1.48 WHIP, 42 K, 25BB
The safe play is the OVER (total should be around nine when FanDuel releases the line), but an Arizona/Over double bet looks like a good bet and the value should be excellent (probably around +210 to +230).
– The total has gone OVER in 7 of the last 10 games between these two teams.
– The total has gone OVER in 4 of Arizona’s last 5 home games.
Major League Baseball
Houston Astros vs Oakland Athletics 10:07 PM
Aaron Sanchez (5-14 5.60 ERA) and the Houston Astros take on Mike Fiers (11-3 3.30 ERA) and the Oakland Athletics. Sanchez’s numbers look terrible (and they are, including a 1.60 WHIP), but he has pitched great since joining the Astros. Maybe joining a good team has turned his season around, in his two starts as an Astro, Sanchez has pitched 11 innings and only allowed one earned run. Sanchez got the win in both games with the Astros outscoring opponents 32-2 in those two games.
Fiers has put together a great season and even had a no-hitter back in May. Seven of his last 10 starts he has allowed one earned run or less and only one of those starts did he allow more than two earned runs (three). His last time out against Houston, Fiers went 7.2 innings and only allowed two earned runs.
This should be a great pitching matchup and also a close game. The best bet in this game is the UNDER.
– The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Houston’s last 10 games against an American League West opponent.
– The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Oakland’s last 5 games.
– The total has gone UNDER in 5 of the last 7 games between these two teams.