Top Industry News
1. Sports betting handle in Pennsylvania was down about $800,000 in May from April. This is the second consecutive month that sports betting handle has dropped in Pennsylvania. With online sports betting now available to Pennsylvania residents, we can expect to see an increase from May to June. According to SugarHouse Casino, bettors placed over $570,000 in interactive wagers in the last four days of May, when online sports betting was available.
2. A sports betting bill has advanced in the Maine legislature. The bill would allow bettors 21-years or older to place bets both at physical locations as well as online. The bill passed the Senate 19-15 and the House unanimously. There are still some hurdles to clear, but Maine has a chance to be one of the next states to legalize sports betting this year.
3. New Jersey lawmakers are considering the idea of lifting the ban on owners of sports teams from placing wagers at permitted facilities. The bill that was introduced earlier this week would also allow the Golden Nugget in Atlantic City to begin taking bets on NBA games. Currently, the casino is forbidden from accepting NBA bets due to owner Tilman Fertitta also owning the Houston Rockets. If the bill were to pass, owners would be able to place bets on games not involving their teams. This would allow the Golden Nugget to take bets on NBA games not involving the Rockets.
Sugarhouse Promotions 6/19/19
1. Sugarhouse is still running their $250 new user deposit bonus. Click the banner below and use our exclusive sugarhouse promo code to take advantage of this free money limited time offer.
2. New Member Spin To Win! For those who live near the SugarHouse Casino or are planning a trip there, you’re in luck! Join the Rush Rewards program and stop in the casino to spin the wheel that is GUARANTEED to be a winner! It’s quick, easy and FREE! Once you join you get to spin a wheel for same day free play worth anywhere from $5 to $250.
Today’s Best Bets at Sugarhouse Sportsbook
Women’s World Cup
Scotland vs Argentina 3:00 PM
Scotland’s chances of advancing from group play are not over yet, despite two losses to start their World Cup. A victory is a must if they want to claim one of the four spots available for the best third-place teams. A win today would make them the third-highest point total of the third-place teams. Cameroon/New Zealand and Thailand/Chile all play tomorrow and have zero points. Due to goal differential, Scotland is currently ahead of all of those teams.
A win could get Scotland in and would put them ahead of Nigeria based on goal differential. Not only will they be looking to get a win, but they will be looking to run the score up as high as possible to solidify their spot into the knockout stage with a better goal differential. I like two picks in this game as Scotland needs a win and as many goals as they can get as well.
Scotland-186 and Over 2.5-108
Major League Baseball
Detroit Tigers vs Pittsburgh Pirates 7:05 PM
The Detroit Tigers won the first game of this series 5-4 and the Pittsburgh Pirates will be looking to rebound today. This matchup features two pitchers returning from the IL. For the Tigers, Jordan Zimmerman returns to make his seventh start of the season. Zimmerman is 0-4 with a 5.93 ERA on the season. His first two starts of the season were great, but his last four have been a struggle at best (16 2/3 innings allowing 19 earned runs with six home runs).
Trevor Williams returns for the Pirates and has been pretty solid in his nine starts this season. Six of those nine starts Williams allowed two earned runs or less. He has a respectable 3.33 ERA on the season with a solid WHIP of 1.13. Neither team features a great offense, but the Tigers are ranked 29th in runs per game. At home, I like the Pirates and Williams to have a better day than Zimmerman and the Tigers and even this mini-series at one game apiece.
Major League Baseball
Chicago White Sox vs Chicago Cubs 8:05 PM
The battle of Chicago started with a 3-1 victory for the White Sox. Now the White Sox will be sending out their best pitcher, who is also one of the best pitchers in baseball this season. Lucas Giolito is 10-1 with a 2.22 ERA and a 0.95 WHIP. He also has 95 strikeouts in just 81 innings. Some of Giolito’s best games this year have been against the best offenses in baseball. He went six innings allowing one earned run against the New York Yankees and threw a complete game shutout against the Houston Astros.
Jon Lester will be pitching for the Cubs and has really struggled since his hot start to the season. Lester has allowed four or more earned runs in five of his last six starts. His ERA has ballooned to 4.08 and his WHIP to 1.34. The White Sox are 12-7 since May 28th and the Cubs 9-11. The White Sox are only 3.5 games away from becoming the top team in Chicago record-wise. I think they close that gap by another game today as Giolito proves he deserves to be in mid-season Cy Young talks. There is great value here on the White Sox at plus money.