Top Industry News
1. Seemingly out of nowhere, California lawmakers propose a measure to legalize sports betting to go on 2020 ballot. Voters in California would be given a chance to change the state constitution as soon as the November 2020 ballot under a bill introduced on Thursday. The tribes in California have been a big reason for the lack of movement towards legal sports betting in the state. In response to the proposal, the chairman of the California Nations Indian Gaming Association said that lawmakers “should proceed with caution”.
2. New Jersey took in more money via sports betting than any state in May, including Nevada. New Jersey took in nearly $319 million in sports bets compared to $317.4 million in Nevada. New Jersey can thank New York for failing to legalize mobile sports betting. Without mobile sports betting in the Empire State, New York City residents will continue to travel across the Hudson River to New Jersey to place their sports bets and contribute to New Jersey’s huge sports betting handle.
3. Although online sports betting will be legal in Tennessee on July 1, bettors will have to wait until at least November to start placing bets. Before any bets can be placed, the state lottery as well as a sports betting advisory committee will have to create rules and regulations. Then the screening process can begin before companies can begin taking bets. Representative Rick Staples said the earliest that will be completed is by November.
Sugarhouse Promotions 6/28/19
1. Sugarhouse is still running their $250 new user deposit bonus. Click the banner below and use our exclusive sugarhouse promo code to take advantage of this free money limited time offer.
2. New Member Spin To Win! For those who live near the SugarHouse Casino or are planning a trip there, you’re in luck! Join the Rush Rewards program and stop in the casino to spin the wheel that is GUARANTEED to be a winner! It’s quick, easy and FREE! Once you join you get to spin a wheel for same day free play worth anywhere from $5 to $250.
Today’s Best Bets at Sugarhouse Sportsbook
Women’s World Cup
France vs USA 3:00 PM
The biggest game of the World Cup so far will be played today as the #1 team in the world, the United States, takes on the host French team. Both teams are 4-0 and coming off of closer than preferred 2-1 victories. The US team looked a little shaky at times in their last game against Spain. The defense looked out of sync and Alex Morgan had a hard time getting anything going. They are going to have to play much better this afternoon if they want to advance against a solid France team that ranks #4 in the world.
The US team has 20 goals so far in this World Cup (13 against Thailand) and the French have nine goals. This should be a great game and either team could win this one. If the US team doesn’t play better, they may be exiting this tournament early. The mistakes they made against Spain will cost them against France. While it is difficult to know exactly which US team we will get today, one thing in this game should be a given, both teams scoring a goal. Not only that, but the OVER looks like a good bet in this one.
“Yes” Both Teams to Score -129 and Over 2.5+104
Major League Baseball
Cleveland Indians vs Baltimore Orioles 7:05 PM
Two teams ranked in the bottom ten in offense begin a three-game series. The Cleveland Indians are 22nd in runs per game while the Baltimore Orioles struggle even more offensively ranking 27th in runs per game. Mike Clevinger gets the start for the Indians and has spent most of the year on the IL. He has pitched well this season in limited action, 2.70 ERA with a 0.72 WHIP and 29 strikeouts in 16 2/3 innings. Clevinger was expected to have a big season before the injuries started to pile up.
John Means has been the lone bright spot for a league-worst Orioles team. On the year, Means owns a 2.67 ERA and a WHIP of 1.15. Means has allowed one earned run or less in 12 of his appearances this season (four out of the bullpen). While the Indians should get the win, the way Means pitches, the odds just aren’t worth taking Cleveland (currently at -182). The best value bet in this game is the UNDER. Both of these pitchers are good enough to go seven-plus shutout innings.
Major League Baseball
Atlanta Braves vs New York Mets 7:10 PM
Two division rivals, the Atlanta Braves and New York Mets, begin a three-game series tonight. The Braves have been one of the best teams in baseball since May 10th and the Mets are coming off of one of their most brutal series in years. The Mets have gotten walked-off their last two games (against the Phillies) and have led in the fifth inning or later in all four games of the series. New York lost all four games of the series, thanks to a horrendous bullpen.
Mike Soroka takes the mound for the Braves and is certainly in the N.L. Cy Young conversation with his excellent season (8-1, 2.07 ERA, 0.97 WHIP). Jacob deGrom will look to get the Mets back on track and is having a solid season as well but is going mostly unnoticed due to a couple of rough stretches. deGrom still has a 3.25 ERA with a 1.09 WHIP and 121 strikeouts in 97 innings.
The Mets bullpen is beyond bad and can’t be trusted to preserve any lead, no matter how big. With two great pitchers on the mound, I don’t expect too many runs to be scored on the starters. The Mets will look to push deGrom as far as possible to limit the number of innings the bullpen has to pitch in this game. I like the Braves to continue crushing the Mets season with a win tonight, and I also like both starters to have great games and keep this game UNDER.
Braves+118 and Under 7.5-112