Another episode of The Baseline NBA podcast as we all soldier on through these uncertain times. We switch things up this week with a very special guest. Tune in:
Bobby Jackson, Assistant Coach from the Sacramento Kings, joins the show to discuss:
– Playing with Kevin Garnett and The Big Ticket’s recent Hall of Fame of nomination.
– His playing career as one of the league’s best sixth men.
– Retirement and how coaching has kept his basketball itch scratched.
– Fatherhood and trying to support five kids in their various aspirations in basketball and outside of it.
– His coaching influences from Rick Adelman, Flip Saunders, Mike Fratello and more.
– Why he bumped heads with Fratello at first.
– The role of an assistant coach on the bench to help get the coach’s message across.
– His thoughts on players respecting coaches who played the game and struggles players have with coaches that didn’t play.
– Buddy Hield’s move to the bench this season and how Jackson helped him accept the move for the betterment of the team.
– Sacramento’s season overall including the development of Richaun Holmes and De’Aaron Fox.
Coast to Coast
– Owners and NBPA discussing salary reduction terms that would cost NBA players big money. Which side will get their way?
– Utah Jazz beginning payroll cuts amongst the various tiers of their basketball operations team.
– The Chicago Bulls are searching for new front-office leadership that would finally usurp the Gar-Pax regime. Front office executives in Toronto, Miami, Indiana and Denver are amongst those to be interviewed.
– The NBA is discussing the potential to bring the playoffs to one central location with Las Vegas as the front runner for such a plan.
– Hall of Fame class of 2020 is headlined by Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. These three icons will be joined by Eddie Sutton, Rudy Tomjanovich, Tamika Catchings, Kim Mulkey, Barbara Stevens and Patrick Baumann.