As the NBA solidifies its plans for the season to resume, The Baseline looks to discuss all things in and out of the bubble. On this week’s show, we bring out the gloves to go to work on our coveted autopsy report and pay homage to Vince Carter. Listen as we discuss:
Cleveland Cavs: The team finishes the season at 19-46 with a myriad of questions about their culture and environment for development including:
– Cal says the team had a skittish season that seems to have them in a groundhog’s day cycle
– The team’s ability to improve seems inherently tied to what they are able to do with Kevin Love and the approximately $90 million left on his contract.
– Should the team be looking for draft picks or auxiliary talent if they were to move Love?
– Collin Sexton, Darius Garland and Kevin Porter Jr. are the present and future on paper.
– Would the team be wise to further evaluate the role and value of Sexton?–is he the starting point guard, a great sixth man or someone the team shouldn’t be tied to?
– At what point does the seat get hot for Kolby Altman?
Golden State Warriors: A proud team that was mired in injury during the 2019-2020 season looks to rebuild their health and overall team with limited cap flexibility.
– As Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green look to bounce back they have to figure out a way to integrate Andrew Wiggins.
– Cal believes Thompson is poised for a comeback that can garner the sharp-shooter MVP consideration.
– Is Green still the straw that stirs the drink positively?
– What role will Eric Paschall play as the team looks to bring in cheap supplemental parts that compliment the quartet of Curry, Thompson, Green and Wiggins?
– Is hope lost for Kevon Looney to be a significant contributor?
Coast to Coast
– NBA & NBPA ratify comeback plan
– 16 out of 302 players test positive for Covid-19
– Avery Bradley, Trevor Ariza, Davis Bertans Willie Cauley-Stein and DeMarcus Cousins opt-out of a return
– Vince Carter ( Half – Man Half-Amazing ) retires