The NBA playoffs have been living up to the hype with breakout performances, drama, questionable coaching and more. The Baseline has been laying in wait taking in all the action and analyzing the trends of the league’s postseason. As we approach the theoretically the mid-way point of the playoffs, it’s time we give you our impressions of the playoffs thus far.
On this week’s show we discuss:
General thoughts on the NBA Playoff bubble
– Scheduling of games every other day and the impact on adjustments
– Is the proverbial sprint diluting the game and increasing injuries?
– Has the lack of fans taken away from the intensity?
Unsung heroes and breakout performances
– Cal picks Carmelo Anthony and Jusuf Nurkic as two of his favorites from the bubble
– Warren identifies Nikola Vucevic’s 28 pt, 11 rebs and 4 ast averages in Orlando’s first-round exit as a sign of growth for the big man
– Caris LeVert’s nearly 10 dimes per game in Brooklyn’s sweep also caught the eye of the fellas
– Robert Covington and P.J. Tucker’s influence on the Houston Rockets have their team with the best defensive rating in the Orlando bubble
– Donovan Mitchelle’s 36 points per game and his dual with Jamaal Murray was one for the NBA record books
– Miami’s three-point shooting behind Duncan Robinson, Tyler Herro and Jae Crowder has the Heat literally on fire from deep
The importance and value of coaching adjustments
– Mike Budenholzer is being exposed with his lack of adjustments as the Bucks face elimination
– Too much isolation with reliance on Giannis Antetokounmpo and now Khris Middleton
– The fellas disagree on Brad Stevens and the way he’s handled the series with the Toronto Raptors
– One bad play doesn’t make him a bad coach, but does one bad play ultimately cost the Celtics the series?
– Did Rick Carlisle and Billy Donovan do spectacular jobs?
– We debate if the push made by the Mavericks and Thunder are more a result of great play from Luka – – Doncic and Chris Paul than their coaches having an influence on the series
– Cal thinks Shai Gilgeous-Alexander should have played less, while Warren thinks the minutes impact necessary growth
It’s a full slate of NBA content centered around the playoffs…tune in.